Breakfast Bake - Breakfast reborn!
When you have a lot of people to feed, this dish makes it easy to serve everyone a hot breakfast all at once.
This dish was served for breakfast but can also be served as a dessert, drizzled with some chocolate or caramel sauce and topped with some whipped cream...yum!
- cooked oatmeal or chunks of stale bread
- 4 apples peeled, cored and chopped up
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 pkg cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter diced up
- Yogurt (your favorite flavour)
- Maple or pancake syrup
- Whipped cream
- Spice it up by sprinkling on your favorite toppings like: pumpkin seeds, pecans, walnuts, cranberries, diced dried apricots, etc.
We don't waste food on the boat so when I cooked a pot of oatmeal and we weren't able to eat it, the oatmeal was remade into another fabulous breakfast.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
STEP 1: In a small pot, combine 'Topping' ingredients and heat on a medium to low heat so that the butter and sugar don't burn. The apples will start to soften while the flavours of the spices and ingredients meld together.
As you continue to get your dish ready, make sure to stir your apples occasionally so that they don't burn.
- (Option 1) If you are making the oatmeal option, spread the oatmeal evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the cream cheese and 2 Tbsp of diced butter over the top.
- (Option 2) If you are making your dish with stale bread or regular bread, spread the bread chunks evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the cream cheese and 2 Tbsp of diced butter over the top. Then, in a separate bowl, mix the 6 eggs and 1/2 cup milk together and pour the mixture over the bread, cream cheese and butter.
STEP 3: When apples have softened a bit (about 5 mins cooking), evenly spread the apples over your oatmeal base or your bread and egg base.
The apples don't have to be really soft, just softened a bit. They will cook more while the dish is in the oven.
Some apple varieties can be sweeter and others more bitter. Choose the apples that you prefer to eat. This will make the dish more enjoyable.
STEP 4: Add your favorite toppings like diced apricots, cranberries, nuts or pumpkin seed and make the dish uniquely yours.
STEP 5: Put the pan in the oven.
- (Option 1) For the oatmeal base, bake for 15 mins or long enough for the oatmeal to warm up.
- (Option 2) For the bread and egg base, bake for 20-25 mins or until the egg mixture is no longer gooey.
STEP 6: Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5 mins while you pull out dishes to serve on. Cut into squares and add your favorite topping like yogurt, maple syrup, or whipped cream.